GWM Meet the Author Series - Meet Loran Smith
Books and writings
- Glory, Glory (with Lewis Grizzard).
- Dooley’s Dawgs (with Vince Dooley).
- Fifty Years on the Fifty, the Orange Bowl’s first 50 years.
- Between the Hedges, Georgia’s first 100 years of football.
- Let a Dead Horse Rest, a collection of humorous sports
- Finish the Drill, on Georgia’s 2002 championship season
- Beloved Dawgs, the four magical years of David Greene
and Davey Pollack.
- Wally’s Boys, Wallace Butts years as Bulldog head coach
- The Athens Sketch Book, a brief history of Athens and UGA
- The Georgia Football Vault
- The Georgia-Florida Rivalry Vaul (with Norm Carlson)
- Let the Big Dawg Eat, tailgate recipe book with wife Myrna
- Let the Big Dawg Eat AGAIN, a 2nd edition of the cookbook,
updated with 300 new recipes.
- 50 Great Memories in Georgia Football History
- Welcome to Unicoi Outfitters, a fly fishing book
- Spread Formation a college football tailgating book with
celebrity coaches and player recipes.
- Letter to Larry, and other memories of Georgia’s Legendary
Announcer, Larry Munson
- The New Georgia Football Vault, including SEC c
hampionship season of 2017 and Rose Bowl
Smith is a native of Wrightsville, Ga., and a graduate of the University of
Georgia where he captained the 1960 Bulldog track team. He was named MVP his
He has worked as Assistant Sports Information Director, Business Manager of Athletics and executive director of the Georgia Bulldogs Clubs. He originated the football coaches’ locker room show in the 1970s. It was the first live locker room show in the SEC. In 1974, he became Georgia’s first sideline announcer. He also originated the popular Tailgate Show in 1984.
His weekly radio show, “Sports Conversations,” runs on over 45 stations in Georgia and his daily radio show, “Two Minute Drill,” runs on over 30 shows in the state.
His is a columnist for the Athens Banner-Herald and his column is syndicated in more than 25 papers in the state of Georgia. He has authored or co-authored the following books:
He also wrote the first five Masters Annuals, an official publication of the Augusta National Golf Club.
A past chairman of the State of Georgia Sports Hall of Fame, he was elected to the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame in 1997.
He is married to the former Myrna Warren of Covington, Ga. They have two children, Camille and Kent, who are both Georgia graduates. They have four grandchildren: Alex and Zoe Smith of Dallas, Texas, and Sophie and Penny Martin of Athens.
Loran Smith Center for Cancer Support
At the Loran Smith Center for Cancer Support, we recognize the need to support and treat the patient and family – not just the disease. Because cancer treatment involves more than medical care, free services and programs such as yoga, tai chi, nutrition classes, expressive art classes, complementary therapies (oncology massage, Healing Touch, and Reiki), and counseling are also available to anyone affected by cancer at any phase in his or her journey, regardless of whether or not they are a Piedmont patient.